Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

ECL Compilation Times

Questions around writing code and queries

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:04 pm Change Time Zone

Can anyone explain the effects of template language, macros, and function macros on compile time? I am seeing situations where my compile time goes from a few seconds to almost 30 minutes depending of the possible number times a function macro is used.

What I find interesting is the first half of the time the ECL IDE only shows the workunit as "submitted" and doesn't show in ECL Watch. The other showing "compiling" in ECL Watch when it finally shows up. Is ECL being compiled twice (client and server side)?

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:57 pm Change Time Zone

I have forwarded your question to the developers. The compiler only compiles once locally, but in my understanding links on the server side. 30 minutes seems to me to be a little long, they may ask you to submit the workunit in question.

Community Advisory Board Member

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm Change Time Zone

It doesn't compile it twice, but it does currently parse the query twice - once on the client machine to work out which source files are required, and once on the server to process the query.

It sounds like something in your template processing is taking a long time. I'm not sure why it would be excessive without looking at the query in more detail.

If it is possible to email me an archive I can investigate exactly what is going on. (Or create a jira and attach the example if you are happy for it to be public.)

gavin.halliday at

Return to Programming