Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:31 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Please Note: The HPCC Systems forums are moving to Stack Overflow. We invite you to post your questions on Stack Overflow utilizing the tag hpcc-ecl (https://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=newest&q=hpcc-ecl). This legacy forum will be active and monitored during our transition to Stack Overflow but will become read only beginning September 1, 2022.

Persistent Storage for a Local Deployment

Post questions specific to installation or configuration for the HPCC Systems platform

Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:24 pm Change Time Zone

I am trying to get a single-node local deployment going for a small personal project. I have Docker Desktop (WSL2) and I am using Powershell with Helm.

So far I have been able to get an instance of HPCC running and I can successfully submit code and access the environment via ECLWatch (localhost:8010) and the ECL-IDE. What I need is to be able to access files on my local machine and, preferable, write to disk and access my finished files after my work is done.

I tried following the instructions on the Containerized HPCC System Platform documentation, but I am running into some problems.

I have downloaded the helm charts from https://github.com/hpcc-systems/helm-chart and extracted the /examples folder into my folder from which I make helm calls. I then run the following script from the documentation:

Code: Select all
.\helm install hpcc-localfile examples/local/hpcc-localfile --set common.hostpath=/run/desktop/mnt/host/c/hpccdata

This works fine and I see hpcc-localfile running with a ./helm list call.

After this, the next step should be to run open an instance of HPCC pointing to the .yaml mapping file and setting the default path to my local drive in the files created earlier (C:\hpccdata\...). I use the following code to access this:

.\helm install mycluster hpcc/hpcc -f examples/local/values-localfile.yaml

When I run this, I see mycluster when I call ./helm list, but all of the processes in kubectl get pods never get up and running. Most of them stay at processing, with a few getting to the Running.... state, but never actually starting. I don't see any containers get created, but some of the processes have multiple restarts as time goes on. The rest never come fully online.

Am I missing a vital step from the documentation, or could there be something else going on here?

Thanks,

Matt Rumsey
mrumsey

Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:25 pm Change Time Zone

Have you created the required folders under c:/hpcccdata? The example helm charts for localfile does not create the folders. Missing folders is the most common cause of this type of deployment to fail to start.

For Windows, use these commands:
mkdir c:\hpccdata
mkdir c:\hpccdata\dalistorage
mkdir c:\hpccdata\hpcc-data
mkdir c:\hpccdata\debug
mkdir c:\hpccdata\queries
mkdir c:\hpccdata\sasha
mkdir c:\hpccdata\dropzone

This portion of the documentation is being updated. But is under review before publication.

HTH,

Jim
JimD

Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:25 pm Change Time Zone

I had most of them. hpccdata/debug wasn't in my documentation. Dropzone was hpccdata/mydropzone.

I'll see if the updated folders does anything.
mrumsey

Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:15 pm Change Time Zone

Update: I made sure those folders existed and I am still not getting an environment to start up.

This gets an environment:
.\helm install mycluster hpcc/hpcc

This does not:
.\helm install mycluster hpcc/hpcc -f examples/local/values-localfile.yaml

I'm not very familiar with .yaml files or helm. Could I need to adjust something? I just used the stuff located in the documentation/git repo.
mrumsey

Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:08 pm Change Time Zone

Matt,

Thanks for calling this to our attention. I worked with you offline and you indicated that the issue is resolved and you have a running cluster with persistent local storage.

I am working on releasing an updated manual with the updated steps. I will reply to this post when that updated manual is available.

Regards,
Jim
JimD

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:05 pm Change Time Zone

The updated manual is now available on the web site.

https://hpccsystems.com/training/docume ... d-Platform

Jim
JimD

Return to Installation