Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:12 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Error: Could not locate a supported version of visual studio

Post questions specific to installation or configuration for the HPCC Systems platform

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:23 am Change Time Zone

I just did a fresh install of HPCC Systems ECL IDE version 7.12.4-1 on Windows 10.
I was cruising along, fixing my crazy MARCOs when all of a sudden compiling (through the IDE) ECL code was returning an error (in the IDE, it looks like a local execution, like "L-20201113-...." for the name of the new tab).
I went into the clientools to execute eclcc myself and sure enough it gave me an error:
Code: Select all
C:\>eclcc Test.ecl
Failed to compile a.out
a.out(0,0): error C3000: Compile/Link failed for a.out (see '\\192.168.56.1\c$\eclcc.log' for details)

---------- compiler output --------------
Error: Could not locate a supported version of visual studio.

--------- end compiler output -----------
1 error, 0 warning

I attached the eclcc.log file, if that helps.

To be clear, I was really just doing ECL stuff, it was working just fine and then all of a sudden it stopped working.
I haven't uninstalled anything re. Visual Studio, or did anything else at the time (e.g. I didn't reboot or anything).
After this happened, I tried to reboot, uninstall/reinstall ECL IDE, but I'm still getting the same "Could not locate a supported version of visual studio." error.

Why is this happening all of a sudden? How do I fix this?

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
eclcc.log
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
lpezet

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:18 pm Change Time Zone

lpezet,

The fact that the workunit starts with "L" indicates that your target is set to "Local" and that is the reason the compiler is looking for Visual Studio. The generated C++ code needs a standard C++ compiler, and when you target Thor/hThor/ROXIE, that C++ compiler is in your environment's infrastructure. However, when your target is "local" you're specifying that you want to create an EXE to run on your local machine, and that's why it's looking for Visual Studio to compile the generated C++ code.

So, the real question is, what is your intention? If you want to run on your environment and your Target has somehow gotten switched to Local, then reset your target to Thor/hThor/ROXIE. If you don't see those listed as targets, then reboot the ECL IDE and try resetting the target then.

HTH,

Richard
rtaylor
Community Advisory Board Member

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:42 pm Change Time Zone

Hi Richard!

As I mentioned, I didn't touch anything else besides ECL code. I know the "L" stands for local, but my target was still "thor" in that dropdown in the IDE.

I went ahead and looked into installing more VisualStudio stuff (didn't install anything though), but I don't understand why I should be doing that since, like I said, it worked before.
I started up my computer yesterday and it's back working again.

Couple things:

1) I'll try but I think I can replicate the behavior in the IDE by messing up with the eclcc.exe. You can then see what I mean by this "L"ocal tab in the IDE even though the Target is set to "thor" in the IDE. If there's a problem at the eclcc.exe level, this is how the IDE responds to it.

2) I wish I could get something more verbose from eclcc.exe to help with "Could not locate a supported version of visual studio." the next time it happens (happened to me on 2 different computers already). Would you have anything for this?

Thanks Richard!
lpezet

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:56 pm Change Time Zone

lpezet,

Gordon just suggested to me that you might want to try re-selecting your target cluster from the droplist. Apparently the server queue names sometimes change.

HTH,

Richard
rtaylor

Return to Installation