Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Question relating to "dafilesrv"

Questions related to node architecture, redundancy and system monitoring

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm Change Time Zone

Hi

We are currently using Pulseway to monitor our HPCC installations, but since we have upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04.02 and HPCC 7 Gold configured as "Thor" in a cluster of HPe Blade servers I do not seem to be able to get pulseway to monitor dafilesrv, when I run the command "sudo service dafilesrv status" it tells me that the service is inactive (dead), but when i status all the services using "sudo service --status-all" it is showing dafilesrv as an active services.

Does "dafilesrv" run constantly on all the servers in the cluster, or does it only start when there is a workload to deal with?

I have managed to get pulseway to monitor the "hpcc-init" service under "SYSTEMD" but not the "dafilesrv"

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this

Regards

Simon Edwards
CPL Online
SimonEdwardsCPL

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:04 pm Change Time Zone

Good day Simon, thanks for the question. The issue you're seeing is a functional change between version 6 and 7 of the platform that occurred due to the migration towards systemd as the default init system on many linux distributions.

The 'service' call on 18.04 acts as a wrapper that will parse service files that it sees in initV form and modify them to be called as systemd units. The problem with this is that our old initV files for HPCCSystems-Platform acted as a driver for several different components that were started depending on your configuration files. When automatically converted to a systemd unit, it causes you to lose the granularity of control that our initV scripts allowed for.

If you want the old initV style control, we recommend calling /etc/init.d/hpcc-init or /etc/init.d/dafilesrv directly. I would however recommend using the newer systemd unit and hpccsystems-platform.target files. But pick one or the other, because initV and Systemd won't be aware of each others states.

To use the newer systemd service files, do the following:
1. modify your environment.xml as necessary for your environment.
2. generate a new hpccsystems-platform.target file, which will parse your environment.xml, generate custom systemd.unit files for your named components, and generate a fresh hpccsystems-platform.target file which has those systemd.unit files as dependencies of the target. The script can be found at /opt/HPCCSystems/sbin/generate-hpccsystems-target.sh
3. start the platform using
Code: Select all
systemctl start hpccsystems-platform.target

A more detailed explanation of how to use the new systemd unit files can be found in our installing and running documentation at https://hpccsystems.com/training/documentation/installation-and-administration
mgardner

Return to System Health