Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:59 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Remote Copy?

Comments or questions specific to the features of ECL Watch

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:06 pm Change Time Zone

Hi,

I installed HPCC VM on my local machine. I was trying to remote copy some logic files I have created on a HPCC server. I input the following in the "remote copy" in ECL Watch:
Source
Logical file: logic file name in the remote HPCC server. xx::xx::xx
source Dali: the ip address of the remote server: 172.xx.xx.xx:8010
Source Username: my user name on remote server
Pwd: my pwd on remote server

Destination
group: mythor
logical name: xx::xx::xx (I used the same as the source logical name)

Then, I clicked "submit". It started showing that "waiting for 192.168.xx.xx (the virtual IP address of my local VM). Then, after about 10 minutes, it showed "failed".

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks.
hzhang

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm Change Time Zone

What error message are you seeing? (You may have to dig into the logs for this, within /var/log/HPCCSystems/mydfuserver/).

There is a known, outstanding issue with copying logical files with variable records lengths to a cluster that has a different number of nodes than the original. Setting the "no split" option to true is a workaround for that issue.

Cheers,

Dan
DSC
Community Advisory Board Member

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 pm Change Time Zone

Thanks for your reply, Dan. I did try using no split option. The problem still exists: waiting for 192.168.xx.xx (my local VM). Then, 10 minutes later, error message shows up at ECL watch as follows:

Exception(s) occured:

Reporter: FileSpray::COPY()

Code Message
1 2012-11-08 23:34:49 GMT: MP connect failed (0.0.0.0:7070)
hzhang

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:05 am Change Time Zone

Well, that sounds like the system you're copying from can't find a route to the host. Can you ping that address from the client? Maybe telnet to port 8010 and see if you get an open connection?

Just some ideas to try. I'll have to let the HPCC folks chime in on this one, I think. The MP Link failure could be prior to an actual connection, indicating a connection failure, or after connection, indicating a communication failure. I don't know how how to diagnose which except through ping or telnet.

Dan
DSC

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:01 am Change Time Zone

Thanks, Dan.

The problem might exist in the VM server internet connection. In the VM console, I pinged 192.168.xx.xx (my local VM server), I got reply. However, once I pinged the remote server, it showed "Network not reachable".

Do you know how to set up the network connection for the VM HPCC server?

Thanks.
hzhang

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 am Change Time Zone

hzhang wrote:Do you know how to set up the network connection for the VM HPCC server?

I haven't used the VM, sorry. Maybe Richard or one of the other HPCC folks can shed some light on this one.

Dan
DSC

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 pm Change Time Zone

hzhang wrote:Thanks, Dan.

The problem might exist in the VM server internet connection. In the VM console, I pinged 192.168.xx.xx (my local VM server), I got reply. However, once I pinged the remote server, it showed "Network not reachable".

Do you know how to set up the network connection for the VM HPCC server?

Thanks.

hzhang,

The default setting for the VM is host-only networking. This means the VM cannot connect out to a network address or be accessed by a network address from anything but the system the VM is running on.

If you want to be able to connected out from the VM you will have to stop the VM and change its networking to Bridged or NAT. Once this is done, you will have to verify that the new IP the VM receives can be accessed correctly from outside your system. You might also have to open up local firewall settings on your system and setup NAT rules if you pick NAT.

Philip
rtaylor

Return to ECL Watch