Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:58 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Roxie pool memory exhausted

Post questions or comments related to the Virtual Machine

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm Change Time Zone

I sometimes get the "Pool memory exhausted" error below when running a Roxie query on my HPCC demo VM (amd64, v.6.2.14):

"Pool memory exhausted: pool id 4194325 exhausted, requested 1 heap(406/4294967295) global(4096/4096)"

It seems to happen when my Node/Electron app makes multiple parallel queries. My workaround at the moment is to queue the queries and limit the hits to roxie.

I have tried adding and enabling a reasonably large swap partition, but that didn't seem to have helped. There was plenty of memory available (the datasets I'm working with are not very large) but Roxie doesn't seem to utilise them.

I was advised there are some Roxie configuration parameters which could be adjusted, but I'm not sure which one would be pertinent:

defaultMemoryLimit: Maximum amount of memory available for row data in any single active query (if not overridden)
totalMemoryLimit: Maximum amount of memory available for row data in all active queries
heapUseHugePages Allow roxie to use memory from huge pages if they have been configured. heapUseTransparentHugePages Allow roxie to use memory from transparent huge pages.
heapRetainMemory Retain and do not return unused memory to the operating system.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Return to VM Image