Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Queued jobs time out after 600 seconds

Post questions or comments related to the Virtual Machine

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 am Change Time Zone

For the moment, I need to use the VM Image to do real work while our full system is being set up. In the VM environment, my jobs are going to take a while to run, and I'd like to queue up a series of them to run sequentially ... so that I can go home overnight and return in the morning to find a few jobs done and the system beavering away on yet another job. However, jobs waiting on the queue time out after 10 minutes with a message like this ...

0: System error: 0: Query W201310xx-xxxxxx failed to start within specified timelimit (600) seconds.

Where can I configure or disable this timeout?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Brian B.

There is probably a better forum for this question, but I am experiencing this issue in the VM Image environment.
BrianB644

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 am Change Time Zone

I believe that behavior is governed by the 'thorConnectTimeout' Option configuration parameter within the EclAgent component. I don't know if it's possible to disable the timeout, but you should be able to at least set it to a very high value.

Cheers,

Dan
DSC
Community Advisory Board Member

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:45 pm Change Time Zone

DSC ... Thanks! ... Once I figured out how to change the parameter it fixed my problem.

Unfortunately, I had already found the thorConnectTimeout parameter earlier in the day and attempted to modify the value by changing the .xml file under myeclagent ... not knowing better. Of course it didn't work and I just assumed it was because it was the wrong parameter ... and ended up writing my original post.

Because of your suggestion, I went back and checked and discovered the error of my ways. I now know that the source of all configuration knowledge is in the environment.xml file and I also now know where to find it ... /etc/HPCCSystems (don't be fooled by the copy in the sub-directory named 'source') ... Thanks Again!

As a side note, I've generated a lot of code in the past, and I would suggest that everyone benefits when generated files contains a comment saying that it was generated ... and perhaps a pointer concerning what it was generated from. Such a comment would have shortened my current work day by several hours.

Cheers,

Brian B.
BrianB644

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 pm Change Time Zone

Your experience may be different than mine, but I learned that it is usually not a good idea to muck around with the environment.xml file outside of the configmgr interface. I've brought a whole lot of pain into my life, goofing around with the configuration that way.

configmgr uses environment files in /etc/HPCCSystems/source as a scratch pad. When you edit a configuration, that is the directory in which the configuration is stored. To make a configuration live, you copy it up to /etc/HPCCSystems/environment.xml on the local system and then duplicate it on all nodes in the cluster. Personally, I keep source/environment.xml a mirror of /etc/HPCCSystems/environment.xml, but retain a bunch of other configurations within that source subdirectory as backups or whatever. Once I've edited the source/environment.xml through configmgr, I use a variation of this command to push the file to all my nodes, including the local system:

Code: Select all
sudo -u hpcc /opt/HPCCSystems/sbin/hpcc-push.sh /etc/HPCCSystems/source/environment.xml /etc/HPCCSystems

This works as long as your cluster's nodes are unchanged from one configuration to another, as it uses the current environment.xml to determine the IP addresses of all the nodes. So if you're trying to add a node, you'll have to propagate the environment.xml file a little differently. The push script works well when you're just experimenting, though.

Just throwing out something to consider.

Cheers,

Dan
DSC

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am Change Time Zone

Dan,

Thanks for the follow-up post. With your explanation,I better understand the best practice for administering the configuration. It makes sense.

Thank You,

Brian
BrianB644

Return to VM Image