Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:28 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Bridged Networking and DHCP

Post questions or comments related to the Virtual Machine

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:31 pm Change Time Zone

If I install into a VM which is using Bridged Networking and my the IP address which I get through DHCP may periodically change, which files will need to be updated to show the new IP address? I find that when my IP address changes, any thor slave processes showup in ECL Watch with the old IP address even though the thor master process shows the correct IP address. Thanks.
gkrasnow

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 am Change Time Zone

gkrasnow wrote:If I install into a VM which is using Bridged Networking and my the IP address which I get through DHCP may periodically change, which files will need to be updated to show the new IP address? I find that when my IP address changes, any thor slave processes showup in ECL Watch with the old IP address even though the thor master process shows the correct IP address. Thanks.

Are you installing into multiple nodes in VM's or a single node?

From the sound of the question, I think that you are running multiple nodes in VM's. If this is the case and the IP address of some of the nodes are changing via DHCP leases expiring, you would need to reconfigure the system to have the correct IP addresses in the environment.xml. This can either be done by hand or with ConfigMgr (sudo /opt/HPCCSystems/sbin/configmgr). You would then need to distribute the updated environment.xml to all nodes and restart the HPCC platform on all nodes.

The machines section of environment.xml when configured contains the actual IP address of the nodes which are displayed in ECLWatch.

My suggestion to get around this in the future is to allow your node with esp to have 2 network devices, one bridged and one host only. All other nodes should have a host only device. Then you would configure the system to use the host only network. This will prevent any issues if the public IP address controlled by DHCP is changed as esp will listen on all devices for connections.

-Philip
pschwartz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm Change Time Zone

sbagaria
Community Advisory Board Member
Community Advisory Board Member

Return to VM Image