Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:48 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

VM does not work in VMWare 7.1.4

Post questions or comments related to the Virtual Machine

Wed May 11, 2011 3:35 am Change Time Zone

I downloaded the NIMvm-1.0.1.5-RC2 VM and it worked in VMWare Fusion on the Mac, but it did not work in VMWare v7.1.4 for Windows. My guess is that the VMWare Tools are for VMWare v6.x.
The symptom was that Ubuntu could not find the eth0 network adapter (or any adapter, for that matter). It retried vami-sfcbd during the boot sequence 10 painfully long times and then finally booted with no IP address.

I have screenshots, but they are not on a publicly available web server and I cannot post images (that I know of) on this forum, so feel free to request screenshots and I will send them to you.

Can someone please help?
ewadler

Wed May 11, 2011 2:02 pm Change Time Zone

My team and I will investigate.

We currently support VMWare Server and VMWare player. I currently run VMWare player 3.1.5 build 385536 on windows server 2003, windows XP and windows 7.

We do not support this configuration, but we will look into it.

Stu
sort

Wed May 11, 2011 3:55 pm Change Time Zone

sort wrote:My team and I will investigate.

We currently support VMWare Server and VMWare player. I currently run VMWare player 3.1.5 build 385536 on windows server 2003, windows XP and windows 7.

We do not support this configuration, but we will look into it.

Stu

Ok, I was trying to download and install VMWare Player 3.1.4 and I noticed that VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 also comes with VMWare Player 3.1.4. I just tried it on that, and it appears to run fine.

I generally prefer using VMWare Workstation for managing all of my VM's, but Player will do fine.

Thanks for your help!
ewadler

Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 pm Change Time Zone

I am glad you got it working with one of our supported configurations. Since you got it working with a supported configuration we’re going to close this issue, but here’s what we found out with our testing...

We downloaded the 30 day trial of VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 for Windows and Linux in order to try and recreate the issue.

On linux 32 and 64 bit (both systems running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), we were able to install version 7.1.4 and load the current VM from the portal without issue.

On WinXP 32 bit and WinServer 2k8 64 bit, we were able to install version 7.1.4 and load the current VM from the portal without issue.

Process used to test.

1. Download the VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 installer from VMWare’s website for the OS platform.
2. Install VMWare Workstation 7.1.4
3. Download the current VM directly from hpccsystems.com
4. Unzip the VM zip file.
5. Open VMWare Workstaion
6. Click on “Open an Existing VM” and select the VMX file from the uncompressed VM zip.
7. Click “Power on VM”
8. Wait for Blue start screen to appear and display IP address.
9. Login to ECLWatch to verify VM system is running.

This process was used for all 4 of the systems above without issue.

The only way we were able to duplicate the issue was by modifying the VM and setting the network mode to Bridge. On our secure network due to firewall issues, we have the issue where no IP address is provided as the user reported.

QUESTION: Was the network mode changed from Host Only?

The VM is configured to run with Host only networking in order for a greater audience to use the VM without the chance of interference from their network infrastructure. If users wish to use Bridged networking, they must be on a network that supports advanced DHCP routing.
sort

Fri May 13, 2011 8:14 pm Change Time Zone

Ok, I swear I did nothing different than before (Actually, I am sure this was a user error by me, oh well), but just to be sure, I started fresh, and it worked in Workstation 7.1.4.

Also in Workstation 7.1.4, I tried opening the VM that I successfully ran in VMWare Player, and it worked as well. Much ado about nothing I guess.

I hope if anyone else does whatever it is that I did to get the same issue, they can find some help here.

Thanks!
ewadler

Thu May 19, 2011 1:17 pm Change Time Zone

I was able to get it to work successfully on VMWare workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7 professional 64bit. The VM (1.0.1.5 RC2) worked without a problem.
thildebrant

Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm Change Time Zone

For me it was probably an error somewhere between the user and the keyboard. Not sure what, though. :)
ewadler

Return to VM Image