Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Reconfigure THOR when data on THOR slave nodes?

Questions or comments related to Cloud Computing and the HPCC Systems Instant Cloud for AWS

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:08 pm Change Time Zone

I have configured a THOR using envgen with -slavesPerNode is 1. Plus, I sprayed a file to all 10 THOR slave nodes.

Can I now use envgen to reconfigure my THOR so now -slavesPerNode is 4 (i.e. I now have 40 slave nodes)? If I can, how do the file parts on my slave nodes change? If I can't, do I get an error message from envgen telling me why?
tlhumphrey2

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:19 pm Change Time Zone

Hi Tim,

I've always been told that when you update a cluster and add more nodes that the only option is a re-spray of the existing data, but let me confirm that with the HPCC installation team.

Regards,

Bob
bforeman
Community Advisory Board Member

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:41 pm Change Time Zone

More comments from the HPCC team (thanks Fernando!)

If you reconfigure thor…and you still want to access the previously created files…

You have to change the name of the cluster, or it will report the existing files as missing or extra files parts.(depending on your "persuation")

When you change the name of the cluster, the existing files can be accessed without errors because it **knows** the existing files parts are part of a "thorgroup"
defined to have 10 parts. Any new files generated, are part of the "new thor group" containing 40 file parts.

FWIW on your system the file parts will wrap

Code: Select all
Node 1                Node 2                 ..Node 10

Part1                 Part2                    Part10
Part11                Part12                   Part20
Part21                Part22                   Part30
Part31                Part32                   Part40

HTH,

Bob
bforeman