Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:58 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Installed Eclipse plug-in; but no window preferences ...

Topics around the use of the VS Code & Eclipse plugins

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:40 pm Change Time Zone

Just followed the docs to install the eclipse plug-in. (I have a working 4.0 ECL-IDE already). It went through and found the .jar file and claimed to install it. Said it needed to reboot eclipse (which it did). But when Eclipse lumbered into life there was not an ECL option under window preferences.

Now it DOES allow me to create a new ECL Project; but even in there I do not seem to have access to the Windows Preferences ....

I followed the rest of the docs; most of the options are still there but when I get to the 'run' part I get an 'internal error- null pointer exception'

How do I set about finding out how to fix this?

Windows 7
Eclipse Platform

Version: 4.2.1.v20130118-173121-9MF7GHYdG0B5kx4E_SkfZV-1mNjVATf67ZAb7
Build id: M20130204-1200

BTW: ECL does not appear on the 'about' tab for eclipse
dabayliss
Community Advisory Board Member

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:59 pm Change Time Zone

Please try Window -> Reset Perspective...
JimD

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:10 pm Change Time Zone

Done; same problem persists
dabayliss

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:28 pm Change Time Zone

Is your ECL Development Perspective open?

Window > Open Perspective > Other... Then select ECL Development
JimD

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 pm Change Time Zone

Yes
dabayliss

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 pm Change Time Zone

Same error, can't see the preferences.

After reviewing the plugins error log found this. Not sure if this is the reason or not..

java.io.IOException: Unable to resolve plug-in "platform:/plugin/org.hpccsystems.eclide/icons/releng_gears.gif".
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformURLPluginConnection.parse(PlatformURLPluginConnection.java:64)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformURLPluginConnection.resolve(PlatformURLPluginConnection.java:75)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.PlatformURLHandler.openConnection(PlatformURLHandler.java:67)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.protocol.URLStreamHandlerProxy.openConnection(URLStreamHandlerProxy.java:112)
at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformURLConverter.toFileURL(PlatformURLConverter.java:33)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.FileLocator.toFileURL(FileLocator.java:206)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.URLImageDescriptor.getFilePath(URLImageDescriptor.java:137)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.URLImageDescriptor.createImage(URLImageDescriptor.java:157)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:227)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:205)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.SWTPartRenderer.getImage(SWTPartRenderer.java:193)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.StackRenderer.createTab(StackRenderer.java:680)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.LazyStackRenderer.processContents(LazyStackRenderer.java:133)
rajunagarajan

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm Change Time Zone

In the latest eclipse plugin there is no Window/Preferecnces/ECL options. It got removed when I added the "auto find" eclcc feature (since there is no need to nominate a default eclcc)...
gsmith

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:15 pm Change Time Zone

So given that when I do a run I get a null pointer exception; I'm guessing the bug should be: "autofind didn't"

If you are not able to reproduce this then let me know which details of my system you need.
dabayliss

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:31 pm Change Time Zone

I have opened a "no client tools located issue": https://track.hpccsystems.com/browse/EPE-70

I suspect your issue isn't the auto find not locating anything (you can simply check this by expanding an ECL Project). But rather that clicking on the Run toolbar item, won't actually run anything until you have:
1. Created a Launch Configuration.
2. Actually Submitted ECL specifically to a Launch Configuration (this can be done by clicking on the "Run" drop down and select a Launch Configuration via the "Run As" item).

Further: There may be an issue with the plugin remembering the most recent launch configuration (I shall investigate further).
gsmith

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:43 pm Change Time Zone

The documentation still refers to configuring via Windows->Preferences, so that should probably be updated too.
Steve.Steele

Next

Return to VS Code and Eclipse IDE