Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:30 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

How do we bring in existing repositories into Eclipse

Topics around the use of the VS Code & Eclipse plugins

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:26 pm Change Time Zone

I tried out the ECL plugin for Eclipse (http://eclipse.hpccsystems.com/stable) and tried the HelloWorld example. That worked just fine. However, it is not at all clear how I bring in an existing repository of code that I'd been working with in ECL IDE. In the ECL IDE, I would go to the Compiler tab in preferences and add my existing Repository folder (i.e. My Files) to the list of ECL Folders and then all existing module folders would magically appear in the Repository window in ECL IDE.

In Eclipse, it looks like we could create an overall project and then add a Linked Folder into that project to reference "ecllibraries" and "My Files" but it didn't seem to behave correctly as far as being able to "import xxx;" in ECL where "xxx" is the name of a folder found in "My Files".

I also tried creating a project with the name of a folder "xxx", which would create the xxx folder relative to my "workspace" folder and then copy in the .ecl files from my older repository folder xxx but then when I created another project yyy and tried to create a .ecl file that did "import xxx;", it didn't like that either.
BenJones

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:29 am Change Time Zone

There are many different ways to do what you are trying to do (and that is probably part of the problem).

The simplest way is to create a new ECL Project and call it "legacy" or "Existing" or such like. Then locate that folder on your hard drive (it will be in your workspace folder), next copy your ECL files/folders into that one and "refresh" the project in eclipse.

Alternatively the link option should also work (but you may need a project to put the link in first), I use the import existing wizard when doing it this way.

Also the next way is to get the sources direct from git or svn etc. but that implies they are there already etc.

Note: One other main difference (that may be tripping you up) is that you can have several Eclipse "Projects" and by default they will not be able to "see" each other. If you want one to use the contents of an other project, you need to right click the project and select Preferences and then add the other projects to the "references" list. (IOW You have to tell eclipse which projects reference other projects).

HTH
gsmith

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:03 pm Change Time Zone

I was pretty much doing as you suggested. I have a single project and I added a linked folder pointing to "My Files", which contains several folders that are properly recognized as top-level modules in ECL IDE. However, they aren't recognized as such in Eclipse.

Now, I noticed that under my project, there is a little orange box titled "Community Tools 4.2.0". It looks like an implicit folder. Underneath is another folder. Underneath that is the "Std" folder. Now, I can import "Std" just fine.

I tried linking to the folder above "My Files" so that my module folders would be the same number of levels deep underneath the Project as "Std" was but that didn't help either.

I also tried overriding the defaults in the Run Configuration Page, using a -I switch to point to "My Files". That didn't help either.
BenJones

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:32 pm Change Time Zone

Okay. I got it to work finally! I created a clean project called Legacy, which created a folder Legacy in my workspace. I then copied my existing repository folders into the Legacy folder. I then created a new XXX.ecl in Legacy to be like a builder window in the old ECL IDE. I put the actions I wanted to execute into it, then saved that file and then submitted it. That worked properly!

The thing that is a little different from the old ECL IDE is that there, I could create an unnamed builder window, put ECL actions in it, and then submit it without saving it first and it would work. When working in Eclipse, I have to create some XXX.ecl in the same project, put ECL actions into it, save it, and then submit it. If I don't save it before submitting it, it will give errors such as "Could not resolve attribute XXX".
BenJones

Return to VS Code and Eclipse IDE