Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Trouble with ECL 1 training course

Questions and comments regarding the Online Lessons should be posted here.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 pm Change Time Zone

I’m having a number of issues when working to complete the ECL 1 training (as an employee out of OKC), and am looking for some guidance:

1. Running the VM locally for HPCC, it has issues booting the network configuration, then it returns http://:8010 for the ECL watch address when it finally boots up. Would the local network admin need to look if this port is blocked on my PC if this is happening? It says I’m running VM version 6.2.14-1. Maybe I should try a different port somehow?

2. Using my dev hpcc account, I’m able to spray the file successfully, but then running the code for Lesson 14, I get the error: “Error: Query does not contain any actions (0, 0), 3,”. I don’t see hthor_dev as an option to spray to though, just hthor_dev_eclagent.

3. When I try running the code for lab exercise, I get the error “Error: Object does not have a member named 'Persons' (5, 3) Error: Unknown identifier "Persons" (5,..”
I’ve tried running the BWR_BasicQueries.ecl and Persons.ecl files from both locally saved files in the same folder and from checked in files on a repository folder on hthor_dev and have the same problem.
dnordahl

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm Change Time Zone

dnordahl,
Would the local network admin need to look if this port is blocked on my PC if this is happening?

Yes, absolutely. Also, the VM doesn't peacefully co-exist with VPN, so if you're on a VPN you should try turning that off before starting your VM cluster.
Using my dev hpcc account, I’m able to spray the file successfully, but then running the code for Lesson 14, I get the error: “Error: Query does not contain any actions (0, 0), 3,”. I don’t see hthor_dev as an option to spray to though, just hthor_dev_eclagent.
hthor_dev_eclagent is the hthor target cluster.
When I try running the code for lab exercise, I get the error “Error: Object does not have a member named 'Persons' (5, 3) Error: Unknown identifier "Persons" (5,..”
I’ve tried running the BWR_BasicQueries.ecl and Persons.ecl files from both locally saved files in the same folder and from checked in files on a repository folder on hthor_dev and have the same problem.
Does your dev system still have a central repository? If so, that's your problem. The courses are designed for non-central repository systems (IOW, they're designed for use on Open Source systems, not internal LN systems that haven't yet migrated). That's why we suggest using a VM for the courses.

HTH,

Richard
rtaylor
Community Advisory Board Member
Community Advisory Board Member

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 pm Change Time Zone

Ok, I checked ports in use but didn't see anything on 8010. I tried running VM VirtualBox as admin but that didn't make a difference. Next I tried changing eth1 to eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, and that made it stop hanging on initializing network on the boot sequence, but now it hangs for awhile later on in the boot sequence, reports no failures starting HPCC services, but then still has the http://:8010 address.

I also tried enabling and disabling the wireless adapter on my laptop which didn't make a difference either, and also tried changing the network adapter type in VM ware to PCnet-Fast III (from Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop 82540EM).

Next I'll try updating the VMWare client. Let me know if you have any other ideas or if there's a newer virtual machine version I should be using than 6.2.14-1

T
dnordahl

Return to Online Classroom