Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

4.0.2 Bundle

Discuss and share ideas around ECL Bundle support which is a framework for creating and managing installable ECL code components

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 pm Change Time Zone

For a bundle which will only work in 4.0.2 (or greater) is there:
1. Any way to specify a minimum server version?
2. Any way to submit it to the competition without being disqualified<g>?

Also is there any point in submitting early for feedback?

Finally is there any preferred way of documenting the bundle? Can we include docs inside the bundle for example (what format is preferred etc.)?

Gordon.
gsmith

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:40 pm Change Time Zone

There isn't a way to specify the minimum 'platform' level at the moment, but it's a good idea. We could use a 'reserved' bundle name 'platform' for specifying dependencies on a platform version, though since the 4.0 version of teh ecl-bundle tool won't recognize that it would create some compatibility issues. We may need to use the Properties field instead.

I'll raise a Jira, and have a think about the best way to add it without any compatibility issues.

I don't think that requiring 4.0.2 would automatically disqualify a bundle from the competition (hopefully 4.0.2 will be gold by the time I need to judge :) )

Please do submit your entry as soon as you can for early feedback - I want the bundle contest to exercise the whole bundle development process - including reviewing, critique, and feedback - and bundles that have been peer-reviewed (and acted on any feedback) stand a better chance of doing well in the competition.
richardkchapman
Community Advisory Board Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:00 pm Change Time Zone

Forgot to address the documentation question.

Again - good question. I think a README.rst - as we use for documenting directories in the HPCC sources - would make sense (rst - ReStructured Text - is used for Python code documentation and is displayed sensibly by GitHub).

You should also be using the JavaDoc-style comments for inline documentation in a form that the IDE will automatically pick up (things like function parameter names/usage, etc).
richardkchapman

Return to ECL Bundles