Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:08 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

WsECL chart output

Comments and questions related to the Enterprise Control Language

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:01 pm Change Time Zone

Hi,

Me and my group members working on a LexisNexis Project have two issues with the user side of the application we are trying to build. Basically, it is going to be a search application. The user will fill the provided fields and get an output. So,

1) How to make our output from WsECL available to use by external users on their computers?

2) How do we display charts on WsECL. We are using the Visualizer to make charts but WsECL seems not to be able to display charts.

Best regards,
vzeufack

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:44 am Change Time Zone

You will need to setup a traditional web stack to safely allow external users to (ultimately) make WsECL / Roxie calls. The key pieces relating to your questions are:
1. A proxy server that is available to the public and is responsible for ensuring that only "trusted" requests are serviced (internally it will then make the actual calls to WsECL).
2. A new web page which hosts the charts in question. Initially this page would be developed targeting the WsECL directly, but once the proxy is in place, the same requests would be redirected to the new proxy server (along with any additional authentication tokens etc.).

For #2 above, its actually a lot easier than it sounds (I like to think of the visualizer bundle as a prototyping tool for actual product) - there are some good examples in the tutorials here: https://github.com/hpcc-systems/Visuali ... /Tutorials

Please reach out if you have any questions...
gsmith

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 am Change Time Zone

So, if I understand your answers, and from the tutorial link you posted,
1) The Visualizer can only serve as a preview tool
2) To externalize our ECL work we should create a traditional website which will be linked to the ECL cluster through the JavaScript code.
Is that right?
vzeufack

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:12 am Change Time Zone

Its not so much about the visualizer, but rather more about exposing ESP / ECLWatch outside of your firewall. The same is true for any roxie services you may have created.

If your target audience are in-house employees with access to the HPCC-Platform then all is good, but if you want to expose any of the above (ESP, Roxie, ECLWatch) outside of your firewall then care must be taken to ensure only authorized folks can access them.
gsmith

Return to ECL