Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:06 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Questions about PackageMaps & Roxie 7.6.52-1

Comments and questions related to the Enterprise Control Language

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:13 pm Change Time Zone

Hi

I have a couple of questions about PackageMaps and Some errors in the Roxie Logs.

1: We have to deploy our packages each hour and sometimes the copy is still going when the new package arrives. Will Roxie stop with the old package and just defer to the new?

2: Sometimes we are receiving exceptions like below, I assume this is because all the index parts have not copied over. Is there anyway to protect the query until the package has copied?

dashboardgenericreportingconfigoutput Response
Exception
Reported by: Roxie
Message: Query dashboardgenericreportingconfigoutput.1 is suspended because Could not open file /var/lib/HPCCSystems/hpcc-data/roxie/globex/key_multiid_nextgenreports_reportnames_202102051400._53_of_145 (in Index Read 5)

3: We are seeing this message in the Roxie logs during the file copy process. I can't see any posts relating to it. Can anyone please advise?

:Whilecreatingremotefilereference:Failedtoconnect(hostmarkeddown)todafilesrv/daliservixon192.168.24.134:7100"

Many thanks

David
daviddasher

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:29 pm Change Time Zone

Hi David,

1. Roxie wouldn't stop loading the old packagemap unless you explicitly unload it. That get's a bit tricky because it continues to use prior packagemaps until the new one is loaded. Most likeley best to remove old after new one has loaded.

2 and 3: Using the default and most common configuration of roxie (useRemoteResources="true") roxie would make use of the remote file until the local copy of the file was copied. Thus the query should work even before the file is copied. But the error you see in #3 seems to indicate that roxie is having problems connecting to the location of the original file. 192.168.24.134:7100.

Regards,
Tony
anthony.fishbeck

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:40 pm Change Time Zone

Thanks for the prompt response Tony.

I can sort (1), that's great.

Regarding (2,3) we have that setting set to true, I'll check with my hardware team and make sure we don't have any bottlenecks, we did some comprehensive speed tests when we originally setup the cluster and we certainly didn't see anything that should cause this. Are there any diagnostics or other things to look for within HPCC or does this become purely a hardware issue?

Have a great weekend.

David
daviddasher

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 pm Change Time Zone

Roxie wasn't able to connect to dafilserv on that node (192.168.24.134). Either hardware/networking, or dafileserv is down. If you can't track it down let me know.

Regards,
Tony
anthony.fishbeck

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:16 pm Change Time Zone

Hi Tony

I have my hardware team checking for bottlenecks on the problems discussed, however I have a question about my first problem if that's ok.

We are redeploying a new Package map each hour but the index copy 9 times out of 10 will take longer than the hour so the new package will not be accepted and generally waits for the next one. I have tried manually deactivating the package map and deploying the new one which is great and works, however, all queries become suspended from the time I deactivate to the new one being activated. I assume if I deactivated and activated in a split second it shouldn't be an issue.

Can you please give me any pointers in how I should deactivate the old package? Should it be in the same work unit that deploys the new package?

Code: Select all

DeployPackage := SOAPCALL
    (
        request,
        RoxieUrl_WsPackageProcess,
        'AddPackage',
        RequestLayout,
        TRANSFORM(LEFT),
        DATASET(ResponseLayout),
        XPATH('AddPackageResponse/status')
    )

// Call deactivate package ??
sequential(output(LoadDate), output(DailyLoadDate), output(DeployPackage));

Also, at least once a day the roxie will accept the new package (Which I can see on eco watch), however, it will not start copying data from the Dali. In the logs I can't even see it doing anything. I don't even see packagemaproxie::globex.pkg,activetrue. So it just sits there until I restart the myroxieservice. Obviously this isn't great for a production environment. So I'm just seeing if you've heard of this before.

Thanks

David
daviddasher

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:23 pm Change Time Zone

David,
We are redeploying a new Package map each hour but the index copy 9 times out of 10 will take longer than the hour so the new package will not be accepted and generally waits for the next one.
Have you considered having online and offline ROXIEs and just switching the load balancer between the two. That way you could update the offline ROXIE then switch the load balancer's target when the update is complete.

JAT,

Richard
rtaylor
Community Advisory Board Member

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:40 pm Change Time Zone

Hi Richard

Our firewall does not have the option of dynamically configuring rules unfortunately. We have 6 roxies in this group attached to our end point. I appreciate we might have to invest in a newer firewall but it's a big job for our team and we have been hit with budget freezes as you can imagine.

I was hoping we could find a solution with the deploy and deactivating the current package map.

Have you come across issues with frequent deploy's to a roxie?

Thanks

David
daviddasher

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:45 pm Change Time Zone

David,
Have you come across issues with frequent deploy's to a roxie?
Not that I am aware of, I was just offering a possible alternative solution. Tony is the expert in this area. :)

Richard
rtaylor

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:51 pm Change Time Zone

Thanks Richard, it's appreciated.

David
daviddasher

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:09 pm Change Time Zone

David,
When you call AddPackage for the new package you should be able to set an "Activate" flag. When the new package is activated it should automatically deactivate the old one. Deactivating is not the same a deleting and you eventually have to clean up those old deactivated packagemaps.

Can you show what the request being sent to AddPackage looks like?

Also, can you describe the content of your packages? For example are you adding additional files to what was in the previous package, or completely replacing what was there?

Tony
anthony.fishbeck

Next

Return to ECL