Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:29 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

configuration and build management in ECL

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 pm Change Time Zone

Hello,
I have a few SDLC type questions...

1. Does the ECL IDE integrate with VSS/TFS or any other source control systems?
2. Can you offer any guidance for promoting ECL code from one environment to another, like the typical dev to QA to prod? Is this a manual effort or can it be automated?
3. Can ECL code be deployed to (or retrieved from) remote repositories? Say I have several remote deployments and I want to publish code updates using a software update service, has this kind problem been solved in HPCC?

Thanks
aintnomyth

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:30 pm Change Time Zone

1. No. While the IDE does not affiliate itself with any source control system, the files are stored simply on disk and the user is free to use whatever source control they like.
2. There are many ways of managing source control through the entire lifecycle and ECL is no different, the user is free to pick which paradigm + systems they prefer.
3. My understanding of this question is “how do I manage getting my local ECL (which is managed by traditional source control systems as per 1 + 2) deployed to any given HPCC cluster?”. The simple answer to this is “Use the IDE – as it uses a combination of local and remote compilers to ensure that your local ECL is gathered locally, but compiled and executed remotely.

Gordon.
gsmith

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:13 pm Change Time Zone

Thanks for the info and the quick response.
aintnomyth

Return to ECL IDE