Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:41 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Where is flow?

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:18 am Change Time Zone

Hi Everyone!

I was watching this cool presentation about HPCC here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex4J3SAAsp4&list=PL724E33CC5FBF8D78&index=18

and was wondering if "flow" tool is available at all as a separate tool or opensource product. I couldn't find it on hpcc website and therefore the question. I'm using pentaho kettle and pentaho hpcc integration, but I don't see certain components in this integration framework (ex: frequency node which presenter mentioned in this video). This makes me think the pentaho hpcc integration doesn't have components which flow tool offers, and therefore this presentation is not repeatable by the rest of us. Can someone confirm if "flow" is availalbe somewhere? If yes, where? Can someone confirm that pentaho integration doesn't have certain components like "frequency"?

As a side note, I would like to propose to HPCC Systems to make always clear few things:

1. Where to download all the tools, which you refer in your public presentations.
2. Make clear if tool is propitiatory or open source and if it is available for general public.
3. If your product (aka flow) is propitiatory and in you using it in your public presentation conveying among other things the idea that HPCC is easy to use via tools like flow, try to refrain from that paradigm, because it is confusing to find at the end that tool you are presenting is not available and it is impossible to repeat your presentation case. It would hurt and would save us a lot of time if you mention in this presentation that Flow tool is proprietary and some components are not available if one would try to repeat what was done in the presentation. This will help eliminate the confusion when using the HPCC product(s).

Thanks!
Dimon.
Dimon

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 pm Change Time Zone

Flow is a custom build of Penthaho Spoon + HPCC Specific plugins. The plugins are here https://github.com/hpcc-systems/spoon-plugins and can be added to a local install of Spoon.

These plugins handle building ecl code as well as executing the workunit against the cluster. The plugins are open source and we welcome any contributions and use.
joe.chambers

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:22 am Change Time Zone

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back so quickly! But this doesn't really answer my question. After installing spoon plugins I can't locate "Frequency" element anywhere in the design entries in Spoon. I see in your video that upper folder from where you drag "Frequency" node into your design page (see attached file). I don't have that folder. Can you confirm this folder suppose to be presented in spoon-plugins or not? This is what I'm trying to figure out.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
frequency_component.jpg
(81.96 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
Dimon

Return to ECL IDE