Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:13 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

ECLIDE crashes when trying to view graphs

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:12 pm Change Time Zone

The ECL IDE crashes whenever I try to view a graph in the graph tab of a work unit. BugTrap says the error is in Windows\syswow64\OLEAUT32.dll, at SafeArrayGetVartype().

I have tried versions 4.2.2, 5.0.4, and 5.2.4 (IDE and GraphControl) have the same error in each of them.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit.
alex

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:59 pm Change Time Zone

Alex,

Good information for a bug report in JIRA: https://track.hpccsystems.com

You should open a JIRA ticket and copy/paste that into the report (adding any additional information you may have that might help).

Reporting issues like this yourself in JIRA has several benefits:
  • It gets directly to the developers, they don't have to be alerted by someone like me to look at this Forum post to become aware of the issue
  • It has to go into JIRA at some point anyway if it is in fact a bug and not just a mistake on your part (which this issue does not sound like)
  • You are automatically copied on any updates to the ticket
  • The developers can dialog with you in the JIRA ticket about any questions they may have, putting all the discussion around the issue into a single location, easily found
So, if you do not already have GitHub and JIRA logins, I suggest you get them to fully participate in this Open Source Community.

HTH,

Richard
rtaylor
Community Advisory Board Member
Community Advisory Board Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:44 pm Change Time Zone

Thanks Richard. I created https://track.hpccsystems.com/browse/IDE-447 to hopefully get some help.
alex

Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 am Change Time Zone

That sounds like an invalid structure being passed to/from the graph control (which is an ActiveX in this case).

Does the graph control display first and then crash while loading the data do you think?

Also if you click Send on the bug trap I can take a look at the stack trace.

In the meantime go to the IDE / Preferences / Other and try uninstalling the graph control and reinstalling (uninstall, reboot, test, install, test, reboot etc.).

Also is the Graph Control working in ECL Watch (FF or IE)?
gsmith

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm Change Time Zone

Does the graph control display first and then crash while loading the data do you think?

After going to the "Graphs" tab of a workunit in the IDE, the crash occurs immediately when I try to click any graph
Also if you click Send on the bug trap I can take a look at the stack trace.

Unfortunately I'm not on an Internet connected network.
In the meantime go to the IDE / Preferences / Other and try uninstalling the graph control and reinstalling (uninstall, reboot, test, install, test, reboot etc.).

The Uninstall/Install buttons on Preferences->Other are grayed out. As an aside, the "Test GPF" button also causes the IDE to crash.

Also is the Graph Control working in ECL Watch (FF or IE)?

Yes when I connect to an HPCC system (both v5.0.4 and v5.2.4), no when I connect to our 702 instance (where I get a missing-plugin error; I've always assumed that was ActiveX)
alex

Return to ECL IDE