Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:18 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Compiling ALL files in Repository

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 pm Change Time Zone

Hello

I can compile easily a single .ecl file in ECL IDE. Is there any way of compiling ALL of the ones I have in a repository? Something like CTRL + SHIFT + B in Visual Studio?

If $false... I will prepare a PowerShell script that iterates thru a repository and uses client tools to compile everything.
Is there any way of invoking that script from ECL IDE using a menu item or a combination of keys?
(i.e. CTRL + SHIFT + B 8-) 8-) 8-) )
oscar.foley

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm Change Time Zone

Oscar,
Is there any way of compiling ALL of the ones I have in a repository?
ECL/HPCC is very different from "standard" programming languages.

ECL is a declarative, non-procedural language. Therefore, your ECL code is never "executable" but just defines what you want the result to be. And that result is specified by an ECL Action (usually OUTPUT, but any expression without a definition name constitutes an Action).

Also, the way Thor operates (which does 99% of all HPCC work) is that you Submit your job and compilation is the first step in that job submission. If you re-submit the same job, the ECL code is re-compiled every time. The only purpose of a separate Compile is to Publish that query (usually to Roxie).

So the short answer to your question is NO.

HTH,

Richard
rtaylor
Community Advisory Board Member
Community Advisory Board Member

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 am Change Time Zone

Pre-compiling the code using eclcc was slow and not really feasible.

But making syntax check has proven to be extremely useful in my project. More info here: https://hpccsystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3913
oscar.foley

Return to ECL IDE