Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:08 pm
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Is there support for an ECL IDE on Mac OS or Ubuntu?

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:03 am Change Time Zone

If not are tere any examples on how to use the aws.hpccsystems.com/aws interface without an IDE?
botchagalupe

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 am Change Time Zone

The IDE will run with wine for Linux (see instructions below). I believe that it also works with "CrossOver" on the Mac.

There is also an Eclipse plugin under development but it will require that you manually build the eclcc compilers on Linux (not hard) or use the prebuilt ones from ECL IDE on windows (see instructions below).

Run IDE in Wine:
1. Within the Synaptic Package Manager, select “wine1.2” (this corresponds to Wine version 1.1.31), install it and its dependencies.
2. Download msxml3.msi from Microsoft (latest at time of writing was Service Pack 7):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
3. Install msxml3.msi in Wine (just double click the msi file and Wine will install it).
4. Open “Configure Wine” (Applications/Wine/Configure Wine):
a. Select the Libraries tab.
b. In the “New override for library” drop down select “msxml3”.
c. Press the add button.
d. Ensure msxml3 is selected in the “Existing overrides” list box and press Edit.
e. Select the “Native (Windows)” option and press OK.
f. Click OK to close the Wine Configuration window.
5. Install the HPCC Client Tools (again just double click the SetupClientTools.msi file and Wine will install it).

Install Eclipse Plugin:
1. Open Eclipse
2. Select "Help/Install New Software"
3. Click "Add" and enter: http://eclipse.hpccsystems.com/develop
4. Select ECL Language and continue to install.
gsmith

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am Change Time Zone

I use a Mac, with the IDE running in a Windows host under Parallels. I use the IDE as little as possible.

I use BBEdit for code editing, and the setup works well. The biggest problem is that the IDE 'touches' open files a lot and BBEdit notices this. It keeps popping up a warning that some external application has modified an open file, which in most cases is not true (other than the modification date). My workaround is to simply not keep the file opened in both BBEdit and in the IDE at the same time. For small test projects, that means having two files: One with the code, opened in BBEdit, and the other containing only a reference to the first file, open in the IDE. The second file is the one that is compiled/submitted/whatever.

Hope this helps.

Dan
DSC
Community Advisory Board Member

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 pm Change Time Zone

DSC wrote:I use a Mac, with the IDE running in a Windows host under Parallels. I use the IDE as little as possible...

For that scenario you may want to look at "ECL Command Line Interface" section in the Client Tools documentation.

That way you can submit + run ECL via the command line in Parallels and use Mac web browser to monitor and view the executing WUs. (Takes the IDE out of the loop).

I will open an issue with regards to the IDE touching unmodified files (there is an option in preference to change the "Auto Save" frequency which may be the culprit).

Gordon.
gsmith

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 pm Change Time Zone

gsmith wrote:For that scenario you may want to look at "ECL Command Line Interface" section in the Client Tools documentation.

That way you can submit + run ECL via the command line in Parallels and use Mac web browser to monitor and view the executing WUs. (Takes the IDE out of the loop).

Let me rephrase my comment: I use the IDE for code creation as little as possible. Everything else is fine, though I do tend to use Chrome and the web-based ECL to watch the jobs. The IDE's use of panes and whatnot is what I find painful, and that's an entirely personal opinion. I avoid Eclipse for exactly the same reason.

All programmers have preferences (tabs! spaces! open-bracket-on-same-line! next-line! x_foo! xFoo!). Adaptability is the thing, no matter what.

gsmith wrote:I will open an issue with regards to the IDE touching unmodified files (there is an option in preference to change the "Auto Save" frequency which may be the culprit).

I had forgotten about auto-save. I'll check that out forthwith.

Cheers!

Dan
DSC

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:43 pm Change Time Zone

Also worth noting SciTE in the Mac App Store now supports ECL (since 3.04) the same is true in the Linux + Windows variants.

It is probably disabled by default - to enable it you have to remove it from the exclude list in SciTEGlobal.properties:
Code: Select all
…snip…
# To keep menus short, these .properties files are not loaded by default.
imports.exclude=abaqus asn1 au3 avenue avs baan blitzbasic bullant \
cobol cmake csound ecl escript flagship forth freebasic gap haskell inno \
kix latex lot lout metapost mmixal modula3 nimrod nncrontab nsis \
opal powerpro powershell purebasic r rebol \
scriptol smalltalk sorcins spice specman \
tacl tal txt2tags verilog vhdl
…snip…

Gordon.
gsmith

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 pm Change Time Zone

botchagalupe wrote:If not are tere any examples on how to use the aws.hpccsystems.com/aws interface without an IDE?

Hi John, Thanks for participating at the Cloud Computing Atlanta Meetup last night. I added an FAQ to the One-Click Thor site to answer your question.

https://aws.hpccsystems.com/aws/faqs/

Can I run ECL code without installing the IDE?

Yes. There is a primitive interface to run ECL code directly from the web browser as long as there are no external dependencies.

1. Click on your ESP Page from the ‘View Clusters’ page. This will launch your ECL Watch page.
2. Click on ‘System Servers’ on the left
3. Click on ‘myesp’
4. Click on ‘myecldirect’
5. Click on ‘RunEcl’

There are a number of tools in the IDE not present in ECLDirect, but you will be able to run code.
ckaminski

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 pm Change Time Zone

gsmith wrote:
DSC wrote:I use a Mac, with the IDE running in a Windows host under Parallels. I use the IDE as little as possible...

For that scenario you may want to look at "ECL Command Line Interface" section in the Client Tools documentation.

I will open an issue with regards to the IDE touching unmodified files (there is an option in preference to change the "Auto Save" frequency which may be the culprit).

Gordon.

Is there a compiled version of the GraphControl plugin for Mac OS which could be used in Safari or Chrome?
gkrasnow

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 pm Change Time Zone

gkrasnow wrote:...
Is there a compiled version of the GraphControl plugin for Mac OS which could be used in Safari or Chrome?

Not right now, but it is getting closer to the top of my list.
FYI there is one for Ubuntu

Gordon.

PS The Mac "client tools" are almost ready which will let you use the eclipse plugin on the mac...
gsmith

Return to ECL IDE