Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:36 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

Queries related to ECL scripts

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 am Change Time Zone

As we know, the ECL scripts we write ultimately are compiled in C++ code.
I have two queries :
1. When I do a check and/or a submit, what files are created(if any) on the local machine?
2. Where do the C++ files reside on the HPCC server i.e when u do a submit, in which directory are C++ files created on single hpcc node?
prachi

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm Change Time Zone

I believe that the CPP files are temporarily generated as they are then compiled to the shared object files. However, in the Debug option found in the More dialog of the ECL file, you can enter the following command to save the CPP files generated:

SaveCPPTempFiles=1

Regards,

Bob
bforeman
Community Advisory Board Member

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:30 pm Change Time Zone

I forgot to mention, you can view the CPP files directly from ECL Watch in the Workunit Details - look for the Helper link near the bottom.

Bob
bforeman

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 am Change Time Zone

Thanks for reply..
I downloaded the file which is stored in server...the file type is 'SO file' . So is this the only cpp file which is generated after compiling? Will you plz help to find its content...
Also what are the .bak files created in our workspace?
prachi

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:34 am Change Time Zone

As per the definition of ECL server :

Includes the ECL compiler and executable code generator, and functions as the job
server for Thor job execution in the HPCC system environment. The ECL compiler
translates the source ECL statements into executable C++ code in the form of dynamic
link libraries (DLLs)
that can be executed on Thor or Roxie clusters.

I used the find command on the HPCC single-node machine at the root folder and found many .so(shared object) files under /lib/xtables, /opt/HPCCSystems/lib and so on.

I have following queries :

1. What is the exact flow of compilation when an ECL query is submitted? Is it that first an .ecl file is converted into a .cpp file and then to a .so file or something else?

2. Other than the .ecl file, what all files are generated and stored on the client machine(where ECL IDE) is installed ?

3. I'm unclear about the significance of the .so file - is it the final machine executable that actually runs on the clusters or some intermediate representation(like the Java bytecode in a .class file)

4. Following 3. - where do the final executable file(s) corresponding to an ECL query submitted via ECL IDE reside on the server?

Thanks and regards !
prachi

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:41 pm Change Time Zone

1. What is the exact flow of compilation when an ECL query is submitted? Is it that first an .ecl file is converted into a .cpp file and then to a .so file or something else?

You are exactly right with the sequence!

2. Other than the .ecl file, what all files are generated and stored on the client machine(where ECL IDE) is installed ?

There is a Workunit folder that you set up in the Compiler preferences that stores some backup files and occasionally an XML and LOG file.

3. I'm unclear about the significance of the .so file - is it the final machine executable that actually runs on the clusters or some intermediate representation(like the Java bytecode in a .class file)

Yes, you are correct again in your assumption. :)

4. Following 3. - where do the final executable file(s) corresponding to an ECL query submitted via ECL IDE reside on the server?

I did a quick search for the .SO files, look in the myeclccserver folder.

Regards,

Bob
bforeman

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 am Change Time Zone

:D Thanks..
prachi

Return to ECL IDE