Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

connect via SquirrelSQL

Topics around the use of the JDBC driver for HPCC Systems

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 am Change Time Zone

Hi,

I am completely new to this topic and my knowledge about HPCC and Linux is nearly 0.

Currently I am writing my Masterthesis about HPCC on a Linux Machine (VM). I tried to connect to my (already installed :) ) HPCC Server at localhost, but I can't find the specific URL needed for SquirrelSQL.

What I want to get to work: write SQL for large datasets (uploaded CSV-Files) and analyze the speed, because my time is too short to learn ECL :/

Here's an img:

tl;dr:
I've read the Manual about the JDBC driver, but can't find the needed URL.

Hope, somebody can help me!
NSD

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:46 pm Change Time Zone

Hi and welcome to the forum,
I can definitely help you connect to your HPCC system via Squirrel and the JDBC driver.

First of all, can you describe what is the exact issue you are encountering, and what HPCC version you are using?

By default, the JDBC driver attempts to contact main HPCC web service at http://localhost:8010. Please verify you can access that url from your local browser.
If you're running a local vm, the service is not running on localhost, but rather on the VM, which should have it's own ip address. Once you find the VM's ip address you will want to configure the JDBC to connect to that IP by updating the ServerAddress property. All the connection properties are described in the configuration section of the JDBC doc.

Anyhow, JDBC connections are typically configured via one of two ways, via a JDBC connection url, or via a driver property (squirrel provides a mechanism for configuring both).

When I use squirrel I find it much easier to use their built in Driver properties mechanism to configure the driver.

In the HPCC Driver configuration dialog, select the properties button, choose the Driver Properties tab, enable the "use driver properties" check box.
Find the "ServerAddress" line, and choose the "Specify" column, and enter the correct value (your VM's ip address).

Try that and report any issues you experience.

Also, please remember that currently this driver is read-only and cannot be used to create new database/tables in HPCC.
Also, this driver will only acknowledge HPCC files which have been processed via ECL.
rodrigo.pastrana

Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:05 pm Change Time Zone

Hi,

sorry for my very late answer, i had a little fight with my document and some sources for my text. i will now concentrate onto the setup.

rodrigo.pastrana wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum,
I can definitely help you connect to your HPCC system via Squirrel and the JDBC driver.

First of all, can you describe what is the exact issue you are encountering, and what HPCC version you are using?

thank you :)

I've downloaded following packages and installed them:

hpccsystems-clienttools_community-5.0.2-1trusty_amd64.deb
hpccsystems-jdbcdriver-0.2.4Beta.jar
hpccsystems-wssql-5.0.0-rc2precise_amd64.deb

rodrigo.pastrana wrote:By default, the JDBC driver attempts to contact main HPCC web service at http://localhost:8010. Please verify you can access that url from your local browser.
If you're running a local vm, the service is not running on localhost, but rather on the VM, which should have it's own ip address. Once you find the VM's ip address you will want to configure the JDBC to connect to that IP by updating the ServerAddress property. All the connection properties are described in the configuration section of the JDBC doc.

the server is up @localhost:8010

I've already uploaded 3 CSV Files. There I stuck now :lol:

rodrigo.pastrana wrote:Anyhow, JDBC connections are typically configured via one of two ways, via a JDBC connection url, or via a driver property (squirrel provides a mechanism for configuring both).

When I use squirrel I find it much easier to use their built in Driver properties mechanism to configure the driver.

In the HPCC Driver configuration dialog, select the properties button, choose the Driver Properties tab, enable the "use driver properties" check box.
Find the "ServerAddress" line, and choose the "Specify" column, and enter the correct value (your VM's ip address).

Try that and report any issues you experience.

thank you! now Squirrel connected to HPCC!
the localhost:8010 was the problem :oops:

rodrigo.pastrana wrote:Also, please remember that currently this driver is read-only and cannot be used to create new database/tables in HPCC.
Also, this driver will only acknowledge HPCC files which have been processed via ECL.

Read-Only is ok. I just need Performance-Tests (SELECT's).
But ECL is a Problem, ive read in the DOC, that there is a translator for SQL -> ECL? WsSQL maybe?
NSD

Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:43 pm Change Time Zone

But ECL is a Problem
We do have free self-paced, online courses for ECL.

Register here to get started: http://learn.lexisnexis.com/hpcc

HTH,

Richard
rtaylor
Community Advisory Board Member
Community Advisory Board Member

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:18 pm Change Time Zone

Hi, ideally you should take a look at the free online lessons Richard linked above.

The JDBC connector, and WsSQL do translate SQL to ECL, and it is possible to access the ECL(although I don't recommend it).

After executing an SQL query via JDBC/WsSQL, you can browse your recent workunits via ECLWatch (on http://yourip:8010). Once you locate the workunit that corresponds to your recent query, in the workunit view, you can view the actual ECL query associated with that workunit.

Again, that is robotic ECL and shouldn't be mistaken as exemplary ECL, so take it with a grain a salt. Thanks.
rodrigo.pastrana

Return to Java Tools