Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:32 am
Login Register Lost Password? Contact Us

IDE crashes

Topics specific to the use of the ECL IDE

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:06 pm Change Time Zone

I've been using the legacy system and its associated IDE without a problem. The legacy system my team is using is being taken down to upgrade to the new version. Hoping to work on the VM version while the system was down, I uninstalled the old IDE, installed the latest VM demo version and re-installed the IDE from the resources on the associated ECL watch page. When I pointed the IDE at the proper IP, it crashed with this helpful message: 'A crash has been detected by BugTrap'.

Thinking this was a problem with the VM, uninstalled the IDE, started up an image on Amazon Web Services, re-installed the IDE from the ECL watch page provided with that image, and got the same result.

I'm using a pretty old machine. Windows v. 5.1. With 3.5 gigs of available physical memory.

Any help appreciated.
eric.scott

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:49 am Change Time Zone

Hi Eric,

I've seen this happen on occasion when switching from a Legacy IDE to the OSS IDE on the same machine. Often just restarting the IDE will correct the issue. If that is not the case in your situation, when you first login and view your preferences make sure that the settings on the Compiler tab are also correct. Press the Reset button to reset back to the defaults, and then verify that your path to the Compiler, Working Folder, and ECL Folders are correct.

Regards,

Bob
bforeman
Community Advisory Board Member
Community Advisory Board Member

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:53 pm Change Time Zone

Thanks for your reply.

I re-installed from the VM version (3.6.2.3).

And followed your instructions. It no longer crashes.

It looks like at least part of the problem stemmed from the fact that on my (old) system 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\' is known as 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\'.

The seem to be some funky aliasing problems going on, but I finally got around the problem by creating a 'HPCCDocuments' folder, specifying 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\HPCCDocuments\HPCC Systems\ECL\wu' as my working folder, with ecl folders to match.

Thanks for your help!
eric.scott

Return to ECL IDE